|Abermagwr History Pictures|
Since 1909 the Ceredigion Historical Society has published articles written about the archaeology, antiquities and history of Ceredigion, many of these articles printed within the Ceredigion Journal, are about the history of Abermagwr.
The society has also produced three county volumes, under the name of the Cardiganshire County History series, these knowledgeable, learned, comprehensive and scholary publications record the history of prehistoric, early and modern Cardiganshire.
1. Local History
Abermagwr was confirmed as the site of Ceredigion’s first Roman Villa, during excavations in 2010. The building measures about 20m in length with projecting wings, a clay floor and an open hearth in the kitchen, with deep stone foundations. The roof is thought to be Ceredigion’s earliest slated roof, requiring around 9000 heavy shale slates.
On the 14 January 2011, a discovery of ornate glassware, highly decorated, was unearthed. The Roman cut glass was of German origin from the Rhine Valley. The extraordinary item of luxury is one of the finest examples of late Roman glassware discovered in Wales.
2. Location Map
Some ideas to share your Stories below!
Have a memory and your not sure what to write? We have made it easy with some prompts and ideas, just think about this place and the importance its had in your life and ask yourself:
- What are my personal memories of living here?
- How has it developed and shops changed over the years?
- Do you have a story about the beach, community, its people and history?
- Tell us how it feels, seeing photographs and images of this place again?
- Tell us your favourite memories about this place?
The aim of the Ceredigion Historical Society is to preserve, record and promote the study of the archaeology, antiquities and history of Ceredigion. That objective has remained the same since the foundation of the Society in 1909, though its name was changed from Ceredigion Antiquarian Society to the Ceredigion Historical Society in 2002.
3. External links
- Coflein, discover the archaeology, historic buildings, monuments and history of Abermagwr, Ceredigion
- Historic Place Names, learn about the field names and house names in the community of Abermagwr
- A Pint of History, read about the history of Ceredigion pub’s, inn’s and local taverns of Abermagwr
- People’s Collection Wales, share your stories, memories and photographs of Abermagwr