CEREDIGION HISTORICAL SOCIETY
River Teifi at Cenarth Falls follow a narrow section of river valley

Cenarth History

Cenarth history archaeology and antiquities. Is a village in Ceredigion, West Wales. Situated between Llandygwydd and Cwm-Cou.

Table of Contents

1. History
2. Map
3. Links
  • The stone-built three-arch bridge at Cenarth dates to 1785-87 (on a 12th century site) is the oldest structure in the village.
  • After Cenarth Falls the Teifi River meanders down the vallet bottom
  • Capel Bach Cenarth, Methodist denomination, opened 1873
  • Cenarth High Street leading to the bridge over the Teifi
  • Cenarth Mill is first recorded in the 1180s, but the present rubble-stone building on the banks of the river dates to the late 18th century and most of its machinery dates to the 19th century.
  • Cenarth parish church, although an ancient foundation, dates to the later 19th century, and stands to the southeast of the bridge.
  • Old Smithy of Cenarth dates to the mid to late 19th century
  • Pentref Street Cenarth, once a row of seven cottages in this older part of the village
  • Salmon leap gift shop Cenarth, stone-built 19th century building
  • The older domestic buildings in Cenarth, date to the mid to late 19th century
  • The White Hart, Cenarth may date to the late 18th century
  • River Teifi at Cenarth Falls follow a narrow section of river valley

Cenarth History Pictures
Old Smithy of Cenarth dates to the mid to late 19th century

Since 1909 the Ceredigion Historical Society has published articles written about the archaeology, antiquities and history of Ceredigion, many of these articles printed within the Ceredigion Journal, are about the history of Cenarth.

The society has also produced three county volumes, under the name of the Cardiganshire County History series, these knowledgeable, learned, comprehensive and scholary publications record the history of prehistoric, early and modern Cardiganshire.

1. History

Extract from ‘A Topographical Dictionary of Wales‘ by Samuel Lewis 1849

KENARTH (CENARTH), a parish, in the union of Newcastle-Emlyn, Higher division of the hundred of Elvet, county of Carmarthen, South Wales; comprising the market and post town of Newcastle-Emlyn, from which the church is distant 2½ miles (W. N. W.); and containing 2044 inhabitants. This parish is beautifully situated on the river Teivy, over which the turnpike-road from Carmarthen to Cardigan is here carried by a stone bridge. It comprises by admeasurement 6429 acres, almost wholly inclosed and in a good state of cultivation, and of which about 400 acres are woodland, and of the remainder two-thirds arable and one-third pasture. The soil is various, some parts being light and others clayey, and along the sides of the river are some rich meadows, with a fine loamy earth: a considerable number of cattle are bred in the parish, and the other produce comprises chiefly corn, butter, and cheese. The lands consist of hills and dales, well wooded with plantations of larch, oak, ash, and different kinds of fir; the surrounding scenery is diversified, and in many parts highly picturesque, the views embracing the narrow but fertile Vale of Teivy, and the adjoining country, abounding with a variety of